What qualities must a spiritual teacher have? How do we find a guru? Discover how to be devoted without going astray, and how to flourish on your spiritual path.
– Individual class by donation. Please offer what you are comfortable with. You are most welcome to come to any or all of the classes!
– PACKAGE of all zoom links plus a weekly catch-up soundfile for $108. After selecting a ticket, enter promo code PACKAGE and this option will appear!
– Notes for the course are $20 (free for LTC members)
Take the time to investigate the role of the teacher on the spiritual path: the need for a teacher, the qualities to look for in a teacher, the responsibilities of the student, and how to relate to a teacher for greatest benefit in one’s spiritual life. Consider the challenges we face when thinking of entering into a “guru-disciple” relationship and learn how to overcome these skilfully.
Just as you cannot learn to drive from a book, you need an instructor on the spiritual path that can keep you safe from danger and tutor you personally according to your disposition. They need not be accomplished in anything else – but by putting our trust in someone else we need a set of guidelines to ensure that our ultimate welfare is looked after and nurtured. As a student we also need to practice a skilful devotion, not a blind faith. Topics include:
– What is a spiritual teacher, lama or guru?
– How do we find a teacher?
– Qualifications of a valid teacher, what to look for
– Responsibilities and behaviour of the student
– We why need a teacher, and how to relate in a healthy way
– How to devote oneself in both thought and action
– What to do if things get difficult
– Importance of respecting teachers from all traditions