- This event has passed.
DISCOVERING BUDDHISM: Introduction to Tantra
Saturday 18 June @ 9:00 am – 11:00 am
This is the lightning vehicle towards buddhahood for the sake of all, and like all rocket ships, needs careful preparation and guidance!
Learn the meaning of tantra, how tantra works and why it is such a powerful form of practice. Get an overview of the four classes of tantra and learn how to practice simple kriya tantric methods. Find out how to integrate the practices of tantra with lam rim meditation for optimal results.
The aim of this course is to help you make an informed decision about embarking on the tantric path. We will be able to clear up any misunderstandings so you can make your decision from a place of wisdom and compassion. We will also discover how to integrate tantra into your lamrim studies and into your daily lifestyle.
UNIT 13: Introduction to Tantra
This is a great unit to first join, as it includes an overview of the path from the point of view of tantra. This in-depth course is suitable for both the committed beginner and more established students. Discovering Buddhism is the core program of LTC, and usually takes about three years to complete. Come along for a couple of classes and see how the course suits you.
Topics in the Course:
– Foundation of success in tantra is the Three Principal Aspects of the Path
– Uniqueness of tantra, and and the differences between sutra and tantra
– Deity yoga using the 1,000 Chenrezig practice as an example
– Four classes of tantra, focusing on lower tantra
– Two stages of Highest Yoga Tantra and how it is different
– Preliminary practices (overview and purpose) to get the very best results
– How to set up and do deity retreats with lam rim
– what if things go wrong? Dispelling myths and bridging the cultural divide
– Importance of Guru devotion for our safe journey and development
Hosted by Shantideva Centre, USA:
This course is being hosted by our sister centre in New York City. If you are joining from overseas, please check the start time against your own time zone! Use an app such as Timebuddy.
“It is a simple truth that if we identify ourselves as being fundamentally pure, strong, and capable we will actually develop these qualities, but if we continue to think of ourselves as dull and foolish, that is what we will become.”Lama Thubten Yeshe