What are the benefits of meditation? What do we meditate on? Get started in developing your own effective and enjoyable meditation practice
Be introduced to basic meditation techniques and how to overcome the first stumbling blocks of any new mediator – distraction and drowsiness. Learn the definition and purpose of meditation, and how to set up a regular meditation practice that lats rather than running out of energy. Practice how to sit comfortably according to your own capabilities, and become familiar with the different types of meditation techniques one may employ. Topics include:
– Importance of setting a strong motivation and dedicating afterwards
– Two kinds of meditation: analytical and placement
– Adapting the 7-point Vairochana posture to best suit you
– Basic meditation techniques such as: watching the breath, 9-round breathing, Shakyamuni visualisation, clear and knowing nature of the mind
– Non-religious meditations such as the Four Immeasurable Attitudes, and meditations on equanimity, compassion, and kindness
– Recognising and overcoming obstacles to meditation such as drowsiness and distraction
This course takes an in-depth look at the theory and practice of meditation – caring for the mind – and is suitable for both the committed beginner and more established students. Eddie Peet is a registered FPMT teacher, and has been leading the Discovering Buddhism course since they first began in 2002. He includes powerpoint screenshares, quotes and readings in each class. There will also be an opportunity to ask real-time questions by typing them into the chat.
– Individual classes are by donation. Please offer what you are comfortable with. You are most welcome to come to any or all of the classes!
– Purchase a package to receive all links at once for $80. When prompted, enter promo code “PACKAGE” and the option will appear
– Notes for the course are available for $20 (free for LTC members)