- This event has passed.
DISCOVERING BUDDHISM: How to Meditate
Wednesday, 3 November 2021 @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
What are the benefits of meditation? What do we meditate on? Get started in developing your own effective and enjoyable meditation practice.
Be introduced to basic meditation techniques and how to overcome the first stumbling blocks of any new mediator – distraction and drowsiness. Learn the definition and purpose of meditation, and how to set up a regular meditation practice that lats rather than running out of energy. Practice how to sit comfortably according to your own capabilities, and become familiar with the different types of meditation techniques one may employ.
UNIT 2: How to Meditate
This is an ideal unit to start with, even though it is not the first one, it is the most accessible of the topics. This course takes an in-depth look at the theory and practice of meditation – caring for the mind – and is suitable for both the committed beginner and more established students. The whole course consists of 13 units, but you are most welcome to join at any time. Discovering Buddhism is the core program of LTC, and usually takes about three years to complete. Come along for a couple of classes and see how the course suits you. More details here.
– Importance of setting a strong motivation and dedicating afterwards
– Two kinds of meditation: analytical and placement
– Adapting the 7-point Vairochana posture to best suit your own body
– Basic meditation techniques such as: watching the breath, 9-round breathing, Shakyamuni visualisation, clear and knowing nature of the mind
– Non-religious meditations such as the Four Immeasurable Attitudes, and meditations on equanimity, compassion, and kindness
– Recognising and overcoming obstacles to meditation such as drowsiness and distraction