- This event has passed.
DISCOVERING BUDDHISM: Death and Rebirth
Wednesday 7 September @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
What happens at death-time? How can we best prepare ourselves for the onward journey? And how can we insure we achieve a positive rebirth?
It is only by reflecting on change and impermanence that we can use our present life to its fullest potential. Explore the process of death and rebirth and its impact on how we live our lives. Be guided in skilful reflection on the meaning of death and what to expect at death-time. In this way, fulfil your purpose in life, resolve conflicts, and develop the skills to help both yourself and others at the time of death. Eventually, through Buddhist practice, one can overcome fear and death altogether.
UNIT 5: Death and Rebirth
This course takes an in-depth and comprehensive look at all topics on the path to enlightenment – and is suitable for both the committed beginner and more established students. Discovering Buddhism is the core program of LTC, and usually takes about three years to complete. Come along for a couple of classes and see how the course suits you.
Topics in the Course:
– Disadvantages of not thinking about death and the advantages of doing so
– Avoiding the trap of the 8 worldly concerns
– Nine-part meditation on death awareness
– Eight stages of the dying process
– Process of rebirth (and how to avoid the sufferings of the lower realms)
– The role of karma in determining rebirth
– The six realms of existence
– How to help the dying
– Subtle and gross impermanence
– Dharma is the long term solution to death
Presented by registered FPMT teacher:
“We can transform any problem, even death, into happiness. The point is not to stop the experience of problems but to stop the conditions that we call ‘problems’ from disturbing our mind, and instead use them to support the spiritual path that we practice.”Lama Zopa Rinpoche