Who We Are and What We Do
Langri Tangpa Centre (LTC) is a Brisbane based not-for-profit Buddhist organisation established in 1982 by Inta McKimm and run entirely by volunteers. We are dedicated to the transmission of Tibetan Buddhism within a western context through the promotion of study and meditation, and the dissemination of pure Buddhist teachings, with a particular emphasis on those from Lama Tsong Khapa of the Gelugpa tradition.
We offer a range of courses designed for students of all levels, from the curious beginner to the more advanced Dharma practitioner. Many of our courses are designed to be of benefit to the wider community whether they be Buddhist or not. We promote a friendly and supportive environment and encourage constant and vigorous enquiry. We host a variety of Buddhist events and ceremonies and provide a venue for international and local travelling teachers (both lay and ordained). Furthermore, we offer a non-religious health program including yoga and vegetarian cooking classes, and also operate a small shop for the benefit of our members and visitors.
Langri Tangpa Centre is affiliated with the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT), an international not-for-profit organisation devoted to the transmission of the Mahayana Buddhist tradition and values worldwide through teaching, meditation and community service.
We take our spiritual guidance and protection from His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, from Lama Zopa Rinpoche the Spiritual Director of the FPMT, and from the teachings of Lama Thubten Yeshe.
We have close ties with our sister centre Chenrezig Institute, in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, and are visited regularly by their resident geshe, Geshe Phuntosk Tsultrim, and various nuns for teachings and spiritual support. We also have close personal ties with Khen Rinpoche Geshe Tashi Tsering of Tashi Khangmar Samdrub Ling in Spring Hill, who taught at LTC for 18 years.
LTC is incorporated in Queensland under the Associations Incorporation Act 1981 (QLD). We operate an ATO endorsed School Building Fund with Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status and are sanctioned as a community purpose organisation under the Collections Act 1966 (QLD).
It is our hope that the teachings offered at LTC will be of immediate benefit to all those who visit us.
In the Words of Lama Zopa Rinpoche:
"The Dharma centre is an emergency rescue operation, like when police go in with sirens blaring, helicopters whirling – to rescue people in distress! Like that, the meditation centre plays a very important role in the emergency rescue of people, human beings."
"...the centre is in this world to educate people ... giving education in how to practice kindness toward others in everyday life."
We Achieve Our Mission By:
- Aiming to realise the vision and achieve the goals of our precious teachers Lama Thubten Yeshe (1935-84) and Lama Zopa Rinpoche (of the FPMT).
- Personifying the teachings of our namesake the 11th century Buddhist master Geshe Langri Tangpa, by putting into practice his Eight Verses for Training the mind.
- Providing our members and the wider community with a safe, friendly, inclusive and supportive environment for the study and practice of Tibetan Buddhism (in particular the teachings of Je Tsong Khapa) and a forum for spiritual discussion.
- Providing our members and visitors with the appropriate education and tools to overcome their suffering and become more caring, peaceful and happy members of society.
- Abiding by and requiring all members and visitors to abide by the five Buddhist precepts while on LTC property; that is, to refrain from killing, stealing, lying, sexual misconduct and intoxicants.
FPMT Mission Statement
The FPMT is an organization devoted to the transmission of the Mahayana Buddhist tradition and values worldwide through teaching, meditation and community service. We provide integrated education through which people’s minds and hearts can be transformed into their highest potential for the benefit of others, inspired by an attitude of universal responsibility. We are committed to creating harmonious environments and helping all beings develop their full potential of infinite wisdom and compassion. Our organization is based on the Buddhist tradition of Lama Tsongkhapa of Tibet as taught to us by our founder, the incomparably kind Lama Thubten Yeshe and our spiritual director, Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche.