Key Buddhist topics to help us live with an open heart and a clear mind (how to meditate, our potential for buddhahood, faith based on logic and experience, death and reincarnation, karma and compassion)
Each class also includes hands-on aspects of practice such as how to sit comfortably for meditation, setting up an altar if you wish to, handy hints in developing a daily practice, gompa etiquette and how to feel both respectful and comfortable around the monks and nuns.
- how to meditate and set up a daily practice
- the nature of our mind and Buddha nature
- making up your own mind – arguments for and against reincarnation
- making sure your faith is based on reasoning and logic
- how and why we take refuge in the Buddha and his teachings
- developing self-esteem by valuing our human life
- how to prepare for death and help others at death time
- developing the causes of happiness and uprooting the causes of suffering
Each class also has a practical element where we learn how to sit comfortably, how to do a prostration, how to make offerings or set up an altar. We also learn the meaning and reason for doing these things.